Monday, October 12, 2009

Smart cookie

The kids are tucked into bed and all is quiet in the house, except the sound of my husband clicking the Playstation buttons! Men and their toys!

It has been a few days since I last wrote and frankly I am just exhausted. Friday I was concerned about Emmie's spelling test. That morning she practiced and still missed six words. Last week was a review of the previous five weeks so I thought it would come easier. It didn't. It was literally like she had seen the words for the very first time. It was a long week. But Friday came. Apparently when she went to Learning Center to take the test, a fellow classmate had an accident and had to be taken to the nurse for new clothes. Hmm...Emmie certainly used this to her advantage as she was given a few more minutes to study the words. I tell you she's a smart cookie and this was a strategy for her. What she does is says the word over and over in her head. For example, one of her words was "second". So, during this brief study period she said, "s-e-c-o-n-d, s-e-c-o-n-d" over and over. She is really good at "crash" studying and guess what folks? She made a 100%. I am proud of her and frustrated at the same time! She isn't always going to have that few extra minutes and I wish she would have used the knowledge and confidence she had before school to take the test.

Overall, she is doing very well in school. The papers that are sent home show she is improving in her timed math facts. We were struggling in subtraction and while we still have our bad days, she is coming along nicely. Her reading is improving as well. She is at the point where she wants to read chapter books like her friends. The wonderful school librarian recommended two and we have started reading about Amanda the Pig.

I am proud of how far she has come in this short amount of time. And I realize we still have mountains to climb. I am just exhausted and wish some of those mountains would turn into molehills before my eyes!!

No comments:

Post a Comment