Monday, July 26, 2010

I hope you are listening

Still no word from TriCare...

I have had a horrible headache for two days now and I honestly think it is because I am so stressed about what will happen in 4th grade. The decision has been made to allow Jensen and Emmie to attend Travis Elem. I'm not excited by this decision by any means, but I can't see putting her back at Center. I am going to miss her Learning Center teacher like you would not believe. She has been such an important part of Emmie's development and I can't tell you how many tears have been shed over this decision. But, I have to take the step forward and pray to God that it was the right choice.

So, the process begins of taking Emmie's "binder" and recreating it for the new school. If the transfer of records goes as it usually does, the new school will have no idea of any allergies, medical information, or about her disorder. So, I am prepared to share this information within the first few days of school with both the school office, Resource and Speech Teacher, and her classroom instructor. I pray I will get the support needed to make Emmie's year a success. I hope God is listening to this prayer.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Invitation, no thanks

I was hoping the next time I posted we would be beginning private speech therapy. However, still NO word from Tri-Care about the approval of services. The Case Manager emailed me a few days ago to assure me he was keeping up with the case and he would call or email as soon as he heard something. Luckily, I have a solid full time job lined up for the fall because we'll have to start paying for therapy for Emmie to be successful in the 4th grade.

It's so frustrating these days having zero support. Which brings me to another problem...invitations. Em was invited to a local Vacation Bible School. I'm not letting her go for many reasons. One, I don't know the people and/or church (it was a neighborhood kid that invited her) and two, I don't like putting her in unfamiliar social situations. I know they will come up, trust me, these days the world is ONLY about social situations and how you react to them. But, right now, I can control most of her environment. Putting her in that situation could be a positive or a negative...and it's a chance I don't want to take right now. Not a few weeks before school starts! I know when the mother came down to ask if I had any questions, she probably thought I was being a pain. But, I didn't have any questions because Em isn't going to attend. It's hard for people to understand why, so I told her we had family coming into town (which we do! The Mother in Law, her boyfriend, and Doug's Grandmother is coming). But the real reason I won't let her go is the uncomfortable feeling I have about putting her in that situation. I didn't explain this to that mother although I probably should have. Maybe when the time is right. I should make Em wear an advertisement for her blog on her shirt everyday so people will visit her blog and understand what our life is like in "huhs".

Carrington and Jensen are doing fine...enjoying everyday of summer vacation outside riding bikes, talking to friends, and eating their weight in ice cream! They aren't ready to start getting up at 7 for school!

Since my last post, we found out that Doug is getting promoted! We are so excited for him and his accomplishments. He has worked so hard for us and he certainly deserves this promotion! We are hoping the promotion comes with better work hours (and secretly PCS orders!) but we'll see.

As for me, there is so much going on. We still aren't sure where the kids will go to school. I have been offered the job with the County, but still not sure which site. That will determine where the kids go...but it's still the hurry up and wait game. I will be working my butt off (literally) and transferring to Kansas State University hopefully next summer. I'm excited! There are many reasons why I am transferring and even more reasons why the major is changing. These reasons are mine and not something I'll post here for all to read..well..all three of you! LOL to enjoy the day!

Saturday, July 10, 2010

It's been awhile

It's been awhile since my last post. I hope you enjoyed seeing Emmie! She loves her shirt and wears it often.

A lot has happened since my last post. We received the full report from Carol Gray, the Speech & Language Pathologist, that completed Emmie's most recent evaluation. She was given the SCAN-C, Lindamood Auditory Conceptualization Test, Comprehensive Assessment of Spoken Language, Woodcock-Johnson III Cognitive Abilities-Verbal Comprehension sub test, and the Token Test for Children. Mrs. Gray also completed a parent interview, reviewed Emmie's previous eval, and observed her during a clinical observation during the three day long adventure. Most test were administered during Emmie's first eval with The Listening Center and some were new. Either way, the results were not surprising. She obviously needs speech and language pathology...intensive speech and language. It was the conclusion of Mrs. Gray that Emmalyn has a Receptive Language Disorder.

TriCare has been given the updated IEP and report from Mrs. Gray. According to the Pediatric Case Manager, we now have a strong case. Apparently TriCare doesn't recognize CAPD, but does recognize a Receptive Language Disorder. Hello TriCare.. CAPD IS a Receptive Language Disorder. I think trained monkeys are running our insurance company. According to the Pediatric Case Manager, we should know something early next week about the approval of services. According to Mrs. Gray, Emmie needs 2-3 times a week therapy. My luck, TriCare will approve once a month. We'll see. I have hope, but it's slowly fading.

Emmie, now, is limited on her dairy intake. I noticed she was having digestive problems when she consumed most dairy products and took her to the Pediatrician. The doctor, based on Emmie's symptoms, thinks she has a pretty severe case of lactose intolerance. She doesn't have an allergy, but she is intolerant to dairy. She is on a daily medication, which the doctor recommended. However, the company that manufactures the children's version is no longer making it because they didn't find a huge need for it on the market. Supply and demand, you know how that works. So, I purchased 6 months worth from the company in the hopes of locating something else that will work for Em. I now monitor her dairy intake..which is difficult because EVERY thing has dairy in it in some form. Some dairy items she can ingest with no problems, but others we have had to change. It's a trial and error process. The problem I am having is when she goes places..for birthday parties, or when someone in the neighborhood offers the kids a treat...they don't know she can't have dairy and obviously if you are offering her a cupcake...she's 9..she wants the cupcake!! It's a learning experience for all of us.

I don't want her to feel different. She is obviously different and knows that she isn't like her friends. Which, when you are 9, is a problem because you want to be just like your friends! So, I have tried my best to make her feel special, not different I guess. She gets her own special shopping trip to Trader Joes, or The Nugget Market. She gets to pick ice cream JUST for her or try different milks because SHE has to pick a special one just for her. So far, it's working!!! I have found a "milk" that she will drink and she enjoys. We are using Lactaid regular milk, and Trader Joe's Soy milk. Trader Joe's brand is the only soy she likes. She will also drink almond milk, which has always been a staple in my house! We have found a few "treats" that she enjoys and Carrington and Jensen will also enjoy! The tofu ice cream is non dairy and all three kids LOVE it! SCORE one for mom!!!

Summer is fading fast and 4th grade is on my mind everyday. I was offered a job with the County as Paraeducator, but not sure which site. If I'm offered a job at Center, that's where Emmie will be and I pray the extra speech and language that TriCare may approve will help us get through 4th grade. If not, Emmie also has a spot saved at Travis. Although I'm not excited about Travis, we'll see. Scandia is certainly NOT an option and I'll homeschool her before she goes there!

More later :)