Sunday, December 6, 2009

St. Nicholas

Can you believe the weather? Well, if you are in California, then you know they are calling for snow tomorrow! Snow in California? There seems to be something wrong with that! I'm excited nonetheless. I'm not expecting our Midwest winter like we had at Scott AFB, IL but I'm hoping it will be enough snow for the kids to actually get to see it!

Our family celebrates St. Nicholas Day. It's an European tradition and one we have carried on since my husband celebrated it when he was little. Legend goes if the children were good throughout the year then St. Nicholas would come and leave fruit and nuts in their shoes. If they were bad, then they would receive potatoes and nuts from Black Pete. So, before bed, the kids tucked their shoes next to the front door in the hopes they had been good. They woke up to candy and treats in their shoes. St. Nicholas is a bit optimistic I guess.

Nothing new going on in the Porter house. School is getting more difficult for Emmie as the year progresses. I have noticed certain behavior changes in her when the work gets too difficult or when a new concept is introduced. We are working through it, but it's interesting to note. She often tries to talk her way out of the work. Most of the time, with encouragement, she can complete it or sometimes it takes hours and hours with many breaks in between. She did come home on Friday wanting to learn Sign language. It seems to be a passion, so I may use this to my advantage as a reward for her.

I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday preparations. We are preparing not only for the holiday, but also the move. UGH, can we say stress??

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and had to comment. I read the whole thing and find many parallels between my childhood and your daughter's. I don't have CAPD, but I do have dyslexia and struggled through out my entire school career. Because I was "gifted" teachers did not realize that I was struggling in many areas, especially math. At the age of 18, my mother, who was a teacher, finally taught me how to add, subtract, multiply and divide: after taking a class on how to teach learning disabled elementary students. I also have trouble with "aural" learning. Someone can read me something, even just one or two sentences, and I dont "hear" them. I have to read it myself. People dont understand that what I hear is just noise, it doesn't make sense. I have to read it to understand it.
    So, while I dont have the same issues, understand that people like your daughter are out here and we feel for your struggle. Keep up the good work and trust your instincts. You know your child better than any teacher or school district. Keep fighting for Emmie.

    ReplyDelete